Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Distance running with a soaking wet gorilla

First and foremost, I can happily report that I survived the Krispy Kreme Challenge this weekend! Despite 4 miles, 12 donuts, 2400 calories, 7500 runners, 34-degree weather and nonstop pouring rain, I survived! Everyone had to arrive an hour early for pre-race registration. Mostly that involved standing around shivering in the rain, wondering why the heck I signed up for this event. On the plus side, I met a lot of phenomenal people! Including Elvis (...ish), the two guys from Dumb & Dumber (...ish), a guy wearing nothing but black body paint and two strategically-placed Frisbees (...yeek), and a guy in a full gorilla costume which had to have weighed 40 pounds when you include the amount of rainwater it had absorbed.

(Sorry it's blurry. I was shivering uncontrollably at this point.)

I haven't competed in a cross-country/road race since the state championships my freshman year of high school, and I've never been in a race with thousands of runners like this one has. There were so many people lined up at the starting line, it took over 5 minutes from the time the starting gun went off to the time my part of the crowd actually made it up to the line to truly start the race.

A few quick miles later, I arrived at Krispy Kreme, passed through a chute to pick up a boxed dozen donuts... ...and then crouched down in the Krispy Kreme parking lot with all these other runners and ate until I lost my will to live. I learned that if you stack up 3 donuts then smash them flat, you can pretend it's just one really dense donut and eat it all at once. That's a life skill that will probably never come in handy, but a life skill nonetheless. Things went well until donut #9, at which point I thought I heard my stomach audibly beg, "Please, don't hurt me anymore." I mercilessly fed it 3 more donuts, showed my empty box to the gate judge, and starting running again. I had thought running with a dozen donuts in my stomach would make me feel ralphy. But actually, eating the donuts had been so unpleasant that resuming running felt like a relief by comparison. The worst part was seeing the splattered donut remnants on the pavement all the way back to the finish line; mementos of the people whose GI tracts hadn't been so lucky. Ultimately, I had a fantastic amount of fun, didn't yammer, and didn't freeze to death! Plus, I finished in the top 100 women out of about 3,000! Wheeeee! ...totally never doing that again.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I didn't realize that this race involved eating doughnuts. That is so awesomely probably not awesome. Right up Jordan's alley though. Jonah was sitting by me when I was reading your previous post and he asked if that was a picture of a doughnut factory. He then informed me that they have doughnut factories in South America and people drive them them in their cars. So, um, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do that, it looks soooo cool! Another very awesome adventure, way to go Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that looks like the funnest nightmare ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you sworn off donuts forever? Or has your little body just caught a glimmer of the glorious sugar rush that Krispy Kreme brings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Krispy Kremes... but 12 of them, and then 2 miles? I don't know. Thanks for the story, you make it sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete