Monday, January 16, 2012

Arizona Goodies

After New Year's, I had a long-awaited week of vacation, during which I went home to Arizona to visit my parents. Dave came along. (Yikes...I shudder with apprehension at the mere thought of a guy meeting my parents...it's like contemplating a flimsy piece of paper facing a shredder, but I'm never sure whether my parents are the paper or the shredder until after the fact. But all things considered, the Dave/Parents interface part of the trip went really well!) Other things that went well: A hike to the top of a peak overlooking Gates Pass where we enjoyed this view: The gourmet preparation of peanut butter sandwiches on top of the aforementioned mountain peak, despite the lack of a knife to spread the peanut butter with. Luckily, the random detritus at the bottom of Dave's backpack included an old toothbrush, so we used the toothbrush handle to spread the PB. (Life Lesson #574: The venerable toothbrush is still good for food preparation even after its usefulness as a hygeine tool is long gone.) A death-defying river crossing during a hike through Sabino Canyon. A drive through the stunning Salt River Canyon at dawn in a rental car that wouldn't go much more than 40mph uphill.
A moment outside of a gas station in Globe, AZ, when it was suddenly really funny to me that one of our national forests is named "Tonto." For which they sell a "Tonto Pass." Which either serves as a usage permit for the forest lands, or perhaps a permission slip to be Stupid. Or perhaps the pass itself is really Dumb. I'm honestly not sure. I considered purchasing one to explore the matter further, but we were catching a flight back to Missouri that afternoon so there wouldn't have been enough time to really find out.
A homecoming to St Louis, when upon entering my apartment for the first time in 5 days I found out what my cats really do while I'm not home. (I had assumed they organized fancy dinner parties for their elite society friends, listened to NPR, and read Dostoyevski, but I was wrong. It turns out they just hang out in the bathtub.)

2 comments:

  1. What?! You were in Tucson and didn't call me? (insert pouty face) And who is Dave? (insert rather interested face) Other than those things, it looks like a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the Verde Valley has some beautiful hikes too. Next time you're in AZ you should take a little detour...

    Plus I need a good laugh. And only you and Bonnie know how to do that. :)

    How is your mom doing? She looks good!

    ReplyDelete