Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Freeze, Thaw, Work

Last weekend was spent in this:
This weekend, I'll be flying out to spend 9 days in this:
Okay, it's not exactly for a vacation at the beach.
A group of med students and doctors are going down to the Dominican Republic near the Haitian border to volunteer with the medical and surgical teams helping the earthquake refugees. By the reports our team has gotten, the site we'll be at has about 1800 sick or injured people who've been streaming in from Haiti since mid-January. The refugees have been living there homeless for weeks while they await their turn to be seen. The workers that are already down there are doing as much as they can, as fast as they can.
We'll be bringing 25 people and about a thousand pounds of medications and supplies in duffel bags, sleeping on the roof of a warehouse, and using a set of local school classrooms as a makeshift hospital. It's probably going to be one of the rougher international missions I've done, but I just feel really fortunate to have a chance to be able to help.
Please keep the earthquake victims in your prayers.

6 comments:

  1. Be Safe!!!! Be Safe!!!! Be Safe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you, Sarah. Sometime I worry you'll spend so much time running off to help save the world that you won't have time left over to meet someone special who makes you want to stay at home. But I'm sure you're following your heart to do what feels right, and I know you're making a difference. Take care. And I agree with Bonnie: Be Safe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, that is just so cool of you! The things you are doing to help in general-just awesome. Just thought I'd let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Sarah! Two thumbs up coming from my direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all of you. :-)

    To the Anonymous commenter:
    I wish I knew who you are, because I worry about the same thing sometimes. I do want to find someone special. But then again, I don't think I'm wasting too much time doing projects like this. Because even better than finding someone to stay at home for, how much cooler would it be to find someone who wants to come along?

    ReplyDelete