Friday, March 19, 2010

Another Match Day!

All of the hullaballoo about the Match back in January was to determine where I'll do my ophthalmology training (during the three years from 2011-2014). But before I start in St. Louis, I have to do a more generalized transitional year of medical training first (2010-2011).
The match results for the transitional year were released yesterday, and I'll be going to Carilion Clinic in Roanoke, VA!
Okay, you've probably never heard of Carilion Clinic. It's a bit smaller than Mayo Clinic, but modeled after the same principles. I absolutely loved it when I went for the interview visit because the program and faculty are amazing. So even though it means I'll have to move twice, I'm really excited to be going to Virginia for a year
...Plus, a quick perusal of Google Images tells me that I can look forward to some serious awesomeness from the people of Virginia near the Appalachian Trail!

I'm eagerly anticipating a year of frequent sunburned belly sightings:

And many rousing games of Redneck Horseshoes:

More importantly, today's Match was a really big deal for all of my non-ophtho classmates, because they found out their match results for the first time! Everyone in the class matched at a program they're really happy about, most people matched at their top choice, so the rest of the day (and the rest of the weekend...and the rest of the school year...) is essentially one big continuous celebration! We ate, we danced, we laughed, we stayed up all night, and it felt like we could all relax a little for the first time in 4 years.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Sarah! I looks like you're heading toward better weather for the next four years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what you were so worried about -- that haircut is adorable!

    -erin

    ReplyDelete