Thursday, April 12, 2012

Dumpster diving, discount liquor, and moving right along

My name is Sarah, and I'm a Move-a-holic.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

I keep doing it anyway.

I have lived at 15 different addresses in the last 12 years. I have moved all of my earthly possessions so many times that I've developed habitual packing strategies. For 2 years, I didn't even bother getting rid of my moving boxes -- I just flattened them out, stuck them behind the couch, then taped them back together and repacked them with the exact same stuff when the time came.

When I moved into my current apartment, I had thought I'd be staying for 3+ years. I threw away the boxes and rejoiced!

...but then it turned out to be secretly slum-tastic here, there's a fecal-death-mystery-stench coming from the apartment down the hall, and I found a great new place with a great new roommate, so I'm getting ready to move again next month.

I had to go find new boxes since I had thrown out the old ones, and after a long fruitless search of neighborhood dumpster options (just perusing, not outright diving in; not as gross as it sounds), I wound up at a bulk discount liquor store (neither as sketchy nor as random as it sounds; they have very sturdy boxes).

In a delightful and strange coincidence, as I was struggling to make a left turn into the liquor store parking lot during busy lunch-hour traffic, a kind oncoming driver stopped to give me an opening to turn through. On closer inspection, the kind driver was a Catholic priest who gestured politely and seemed eager to help me reach the liquor store in time to presumably get schnockered over lunch.

Also delightfully, most of my belongings are now packed in stacks and stacks of Captain Morgan, Sauza margarita, and Barefoot Wine boxes, which makes my apartment look like I spend all my time and disposable income drinking heavily. I don't. By the way. In case you wondered. At all.

Point being: This would be an excellent time for people to visit my current apartment and form a first impression of me.

2 comments:

  1. Came here from Better After and stayed to read more entries! My family moved often when I was a kid, and we learned the liquor box trick too. So when I went off to college, naturally we packed a bunch of my stuff in liquor boxes. Loved the looks I got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I wonder how long it was into your freshman year before people stopped secretly referring to you by the nickname "Liquor box McDrunky."
    ;)

    ReplyDelete