Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Boss Sings Everything...Or Nothing...

There are two types of people in this world: Lumpers and Splitters.

Splitters subdivide everything into extremely differentiated subcategories with a great degree of detail.
Lumpers group all kinds of remotely-related things into one package deal.

I am a Lumper. This was never clearer than the recent realization that all songs written after 1980, sung by a male, and having a patriotic theme or focusing on an American city aren't actually by Bruce Springsteen. I was shocked to learn this. My entire casually lumped category of "Springsteen sings every raspy American anthem" completely fell apart.
- Ain't That America.... not Springsteen
- Jack & Diane... not Springsteen
- Walkin' in Memphis... not Springsteen
  - God Bless the USA... Ha! Gotcha there! I didn't think this was Springsteen.   ...okay...fine...maybe I did...

When the issue of my misplaced Springsteen credit came up, several friends each independently tried to educate me on songs that Bruce Springsteen does sing.  I...uh...hadn't ever heard any of them.

I will admit, that moment was an epic fail for the Lumpers, myself included.

Are you a Lumper or a Splitter? How did you come to realize that you are one or the other?

6 comments:

  1. I'm a total splitter. I not only know who sings a song, I split it all the way down to which album it was on, which track number, and what key signature it was written in.

    I'll try to overlook the fact that you've flagrantly insulted poor John Mellencamp by Springsteen-lumping him, but only because I like you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, Sarah, Sarah,

    Thanks to growing up with the king of rock n' roll (no, not Elvis, but Mr. Bailey) I know who sings every one of those songs.

    I guess you were too busy acing all the math tests to be paying much attention to the music playing from the back of the room right? :)

    Definetely a Splitter, in every aspect of my life. I inherited dad's OCD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Teddy,
      In middle school, I was so intimidated by Mr Bailey, the math teacher, that I never really stopped to realize that he was also your dad, the king of rock n' roll!

      Delete
  3. I'm a lumper. I even like lumps in my mashed potatoes. Who needs details anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about this one? Is it Springsteen?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyHSjv9gxlE

    (and sorry again for being an annoying Splitter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly Dave. Clearly that one is by John Cougar Mellencamp. Not sure what he was doing on the BBC, though...

      Delete