Monday, July 1, 2013

Ironic Trash

After spending the last 2 years trying to convince my parents that St Louis is a clean, safe, tranquil, idyllic place -- nothing like the trash-filled urban nightmare they imagine it to be -- the following is definitely going to be counterproductive.
 
First, when I came out of the VA today and saw this on the ground, my initial thought was that it was a sad little road-killed animal. St Louis is full of adorable little fuzzy squirrels and bunnies like a Disney cartoon.  ...except for the fact that the cute little fuzzies of St Louis unfortunately run in front of cars sometimes, whereas Bambi's friend Thumper never made that mistake.


But I digress.
It's not a sad little road-killed animal.
It's a weave, presumably torn straight from someone's head and stomped to the ground in an epic display of inner-city emotion.

Now that's the classy St Louis I've grown to know and love.

Second, another gem I found on the ground today. This might be the single most ironic piece of litter in the history of littering. It was laying on the sidewalk a few feet from a sizable stack of spent cigarette butts:
Littering the cigarette butts even though the paper asked you not to: Merely defiant.
Taking the paper that asked you not to litter and turning it into litter: Almost Kafkaesque.
 

4 comments:

  1. You found my weave! I've been looking for it all weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it! I was hoping no one would claim it, so that I could have it woven onto MY head at the next available opportunity.
    Finders keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude I have seen probably a dozen weaves in the street in my 3.5 years in Saint Louis and I also kind of find it horrifically awesome. By the way I just discovered your blog. I like it better than weaves in the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than weaves in the street?
      That's quite the compliment, Dan. Quite the compliment.

      Delete