Thursday, October 8, 2009

Vocabulary at its Finest

Medical term of the day: Pseudocyesis Definition: The appearance of clinical signs and symptoms of pregnancy, although the person is not truly pregnant. I came across this word a few weeks ago during my Psych rotation. I think both that it is phenomenal, and that it should be worked casually into everyday conversations. Allow a brief illustration, for educational purposes: Pregnancy should not be mistaken for a beach ball.
(ball) . . . (baby)
Bulky winter clothes that make a person look a little ...uh..."healthy"... likewise are not a baby. Any coat capable of withstanding a Minnesota winter is bound to be hugemongous, miraculously managing to be size Small on the inside but size Sumo on the outside. Shameful bonus points if it's also roughly the same color as an Easter Peep, as shown here.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, this man is not pregnant. On the contrary, he offers objective proof that Santa Claus exists and works as a crossing guard in the off-season.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I promise, I am actually 9 months pregnant and do not go around with a pumpkin stuffed in my shirt! I make this comment because I currently have a pic on my blog of me holding a pumpkin...and if I didn't know better, it could be a baby bump or a pumpkin bump....just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Rachel, I believe you. :-)
    Congrats on your soon-to-arrive little Lautenschlager!

    ReplyDelete