Friday, April 9, 2010

Laundry Day

In my whole life, I've only lived in maybe two places that had a truly reliable washer and dryer inside the house. The rest of the time, I've shared the joy of a communal laundry room or a public laundromat. There's nothing quite as riveting as watching the folks who come through to do their laundry on an average Saturday morning. And there's nothing quite as frustrating as coming downstairs to retrieve your clothes only to find that they were prematurely evicted from the dryer and piled in a wet heap on the floor so that someone else can dry a pair of shorts and a single sock.
Today as I was in my apartment building's laundry room, adding my last scoop of detergent, an old lady came in to move her clothes from the washer to the dryer. Suddenly deciding that this was an ideal setting for female bonding and the passage of wisdom, she pulled out a bra from her laundry load and told me "This is my best bra. Look at it. It's a good one. Lots of support. I never leave it down here to go through the dryer because someone will take it. That's what people will do with a good bra -- they'll steal it."
Beware the bra thieves. You can't be too careful these days.

2 comments:

  1. This must have been her way of telling you that she was on to you. Because clearly, you have that look in your eye that says you steal bras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang shoot. I've been trying to be so subtle about it!

    ReplyDelete