Monday, April 19, 2010

My Pseudo-Disney Non-Vacation

Have you heard of that getting-to-know-you game called "I've Never"? A group of people sit in a circle of chairs with one less chair than the number of people, then the leftover person has to stand in the middle of the circle and say something they've never done. Anyone sitting down who has done the stated activity has to get out of their chair and scramble into a new one, leaving a new person leftover in the middle of the circle. Well, my go-to statement for that game has always been that I've Never been to a Disney theme park. And even though I spent the last 4 days in Orlando, FL, it's still true. I was there for a research conference, but didn't actually get to do anything legitimately Disney. Instead, I had a pseudo-Disney vacation during breaks between conference lectures! Wooo-hooooo, Behold! I took a picture of a Disney park transportation bus as it drove by! I explored the boardwalk studded with tacky souvenir shops near Disney World! I snapped a shot of Disney's Epcot Center! (...from the highway, across a parking lot, while lost, moments before doing a U-turn in my rental car in order to avoid having to actually pay to get inside the official park). Squint and look in the middle of the picture just above the treeline! I went inside of a Disney resort hotel! The Swan & Dolphin! (...it's where the conference was held. My actual hotel lodgings were much less Disney and much less dinero.) Swan: Dolphin: And by the way: I'm no marine biologist, but that's no dolphin. Maybe they didn't think "The Swan & Trout" sounded as classy.
In a suspenseful pseudo-Disney climax, I presented my research project at the biggest national pediatric eye conference of the year!
The project was on acquired nonaccommodative esotropia (translation: kids who suddenly go cross-eyed even though their eyes were straight before, and the crossing can't be fixed with strong glasses).
And in a super pseudo-Disney happy ending, my poster won an award for Best in Show! (Look closely at the upper left corner of the picture and you'll see a cute little blue ribbon on the display board.) The last time I won anything "Best in Show" was at the poultry barn of the 1995 county fair for a pair of cantankerous geese. The fair folks gave me a $3 prize. The ophtho research conference folks only gave me a hearty handshake. Apparently, the more lucrative career is in poultry, not medicine.

6 comments:

  1. Seriously? No prize money? I knew there was a reason I wasn't going to be a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you totally should have gone into geese husbandry. Speaking of crazy people (which we weren't) I heard there was a standoff/hostage/crazy-dude-with-a-gun situation over by Poverty Flats yesterday! Did you hear about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the award! That's a huge deal at a national conference!

    It's too bad there's no prize money, but looking on the bright side: your hair looks better in the award picture than it did in your last blog posting.

    - D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek Lindsey! Surely you realize my natural freakout when the words "gun" and "Poverty Flat" land anywhere in a sentence together! But I called my dad, and apparently it was just a traffic stop of a random guy that coincidentally happened on Central Ave near Poverty Flat -- nobody they know. *Whew*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to alarm you! But there really was an incident that day, they locked down the primary school and intermediate school and everything.

    Apparently it was some guy in the area who was drunk and high and waving a gun around threatening suicide more than anything, and the police had a stand-off with him. It finally ended when the drugs wore off and he said if he could just have a ciggarette and go pee, he would turn himself in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Round Valley's finest drunken, small-bladdered, shotgun-owning, nicotine addict with a rapid drug metabolism! Thank goodness no one got hurt.

    ReplyDelete