Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cake Fair, Mendelssohn Aire, and the Handy-Dandy Bedside Chair

1. Diaper Cake My classmate's wife is having a baby girl, and what could be more practical than diapers as a baby shower gift? Thank you for teaching me how to to make this diaper cake, Bonnie! 2. Opera Lite My church group went to see Mendelssohn's oratorio, "Elijah," this weekend. An oratorio is basically an opera, but without the costumes or choreography -- during Mendelssohn's time, the Catholic church frowned on gaudy pageantry during Lent, so the theatre houses came up with oratorios as a way to fill the season. I'm not normally into opera, but this one was amazing! They had a 50-piece orchestra, 100-person choir, and the program had every music lyric referenced back to the Bible verse it came from. 3. My new job as a delivery truck driver My friends have started to refer to my car as "The Hot Nazi," because of its German roots. (Maybe this new nickname is bad kharma coming back to bite me for all those times I referred to Katy's Z-car with the red velvet/leather interior as "The Brothel.") Anyway, this week, I was working with Mayo's home hospice department and they asked me if I could take my car to deliver something to one of the hospice patients' houses. After I agreed, I found out that the cargo was an adult bedside commode chair, and the delivery site was a farm way out in the boondocks at the end of a 6-mile dirt road. I'm happy to report that the Hot Nazi did just fine with this glamorous task. Potty delivery mission accomplished!

3 comments:

  1. For some reason, this makes me think of those people who christen their yachts by pouring a bottle of champaigne on it. ...but instead, you christened your car by hauling a port-a-potty in it. I guess on the bright side, at least it was a new commode.

    And that diaper cake is adorable!

    And your blog keeps eating my comment posts.

    d

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute diaper cake!! If this whole doctor thing doesn't work out for you...I think you have found a good backup plan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my brothel. Really. I'd buy it back in a heartbeat. Which would be especially easy since I only got $10 for it.

    ReplyDelete