Monday, July 5, 2010

Virginia Shur Is Purty, Ain't It?

I've been here less than a month, and I think I'm inadvertantly starting to pick up a drawl already. Oh dear. That means I'm on pace to be driving a beat up old pick-up truck with a confederate flag in the back window by December. I'll do my best to fight the good fight and continue sounding like a decent Arizonnesota resident, but it's going to be hard. I actually noticed my insidiously developing southern accent during a weekend hike. Our group came to a lovely waterfall sheeting over a soft green mossy bluff, and what I meant to say was something along the lines of, "Wow, what a beautiful waterfall." Sadly, I'm afraid that what actually came out of my mouth was, "That shur is purty." But it's just as true either way you say it: Virginia is an unbelievably pretty place to live. Here are some pictures from the hike, including the "purty" waterfall, and also the much bigger and badder waterfall at the end of the trail. The pool at its base is a great swimming hole (as evidenced by the wee little fleshy blobs you see in the last photo, each of which is an over-sunburned, under-clothed local out for a swim).

4 comments:

  1. Eek! Why are you standing on a rickety log over a bottomless gorge?!

    Aside from that, yes, Virginia does look really pretty.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up on your blog! I've been fasting from the internet. Not really, just a lot of summertime stuff going on here. Looks like a lot has been going there too! Loved your thoughts on you-know-who's big day. Very well (and maturely) put. You rock. I had other thoughts, but I'm up way past my bedtime and my brain feels like moosh. Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I remember your piano! RIP! I learned more from you and that piano than I ever did from all my piano lessons combined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PPS: I'm not up so late that your fireplace looks like Santa Claus, but maybe in a couple more hours...

    ReplyDelete