Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Back to Africa!

I get to go back to Africa in August for an international health rotation!
I leave on Sunday (...um...if my travel visa gets processed...fingers crossed, breath held, lucky penny clenched...) First, I'll be in Johannesburg, South Africa, for about a week to attend an international pediatric conference. (Jeffrey Sachs might be there! Millenium Villages! Nerdy swoon of admiration!)
After that, I'll be back in Ghana for the subsequent few weeks to work with a non-profit organization called Kimoyo and to volunteer with Unite for Sight again.
Oh, Ghana! Home of this guy:
And home of the two best business signs I've ever seen in my entire life:
It's nice to know that my raging case of dysentery on the last trip to Ghana was apparently an act of divine intervention.

This? Welllll...It's either a very unfortunate abbreviation, or a cause for very deep concern about the inventory at this establishment.

And home of the most candid marriage proposal of all time, courtesy of this guy in the middle. He turned out to be named "Black Pepper," maker of African drums, part-time teacher of dance to German tourist groups. Cool dude, actually. Alas, it simply wasn't meant to be. ;-)

"Hey. You! I want a white wife. You be it. What's your name?"
And home of Unite for Sight!
I can't wait to go back there! I'll probably be out of touch until the end of August. Have a great month!

4 comments:

  1. Sara,
    You always crack me up! Have so much fun healing Ghana of blindness, you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'd better write down that number. I've been looking for a good ass dealer for a long time. ;) Have fun saving the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you were scouring the market, Lindsey. Um...be that as it may...make sure you jot down the country code. It's an international call. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze me. Good luck, be safe, and have fun in Africa!

    ReplyDelete