Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Infinity plus one



On the note of humankind's search for meaning, I bet at some point or another you've contemplated the vastness of the infinite universe. Billions and billions of stars, worlds without end, and we are just tiny specks in the context of infinity. If you have contemplated it, you'll appreciate this:

I was doing some assigned reading in a pediatric ophthalmology book a few days ago and came to this line:  "For practical purposes, infinity is considered to be 20 feet."

In other words, I guess the universe is a lot smaller than I thought. If infinity is 20 feet, and the universe is infinite, then the universe is 20 feet wide. (Thank you, mathematic transitive property. Practical purposes, indeed.)

Not only that, but if infinity is 20 feet...

 - I am more than a quarter of infinity tall!

 - On call last week, I stitched up a cut on a guy's upper eyelid that was 0.006 x infinity!

 - Sergey Bubka pole vaulted an infinite height!

 - There are 264 infinities in a mile!

Mind. Blown.


Okay, okay. It was referring to optical infinity, but that's so much less fun.

2 comments:

  1. OMG - my living room is almost infinity wide.
    I live in a mansion and I didn't even know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In light of that, you should probably ask your landlord to charge you higher rent. ;)

      Delete