Friday, November 13, 2009

Cleveland Rocks!

Howdy from Cleveland! I'm here for a residency interview at the Cleveland Clinic Cole Eye Institute. It's a beautiful place, and the program is astounding. I think the lobby was designed to hypnotize the people standing on the third floor, though.

You are getting sleeeeeeeeeee-py...

Anyway, I flew into Cleveland yesterday afternoon, then rode the train from the airport into the downtown area. The train's total count of homeless dudes asleep in the aisles was only 2. I took that as a good sign.
The train unloaded in the subway level of a shopping mall where I whiled away some time, then visited a nearby statuary before catching my bus to the hotel.

Cleveland Rocks!

During the 20-minute bus ride, one of the passengers kept up a pause-free diatribe about... well... everything. His key talking points ran like this:
- The Mayan calendar predicts the world will end in 2012.
- The world would not end in 2012 if the United States hadn't stolen nuclear technology from the ancient Egyptian pyramids.
- There are barrels of toxic waste under Cleveland, and the ocean-bottom is littered with refrigerators and stoves. There are fish swimming down there with plastic six-pack rings around their necks.
- The world would not end in 2012 if the United States hadn't stolen plastic six-pack rings from the ancient Egyptian pyramids.
- The Gay Olympics are coming to Cleveland.
- People need jobs instead of being in the Olympics. Everyone's going to lose their jobs.
- If you use your credit card at the Dollar Store instead of Macy's, Barack Obama will know you're about to lose your job. He will know.
- We should hire a couple hundred ships to go clean up the bottom of the ocean. That would be a lot of jobs.
- The world would not end in 2012 if the United States hadn't stolen ships from the ancient Egyptian pyramids.

It's a pretty coherent thesis, yes?

P.S. The Lewis Building (for business students at Case Western), is awesome.

The Lewis Building was stolen from the ancient Egyptians.

6 comments:

  1. ...Trying to picture the person in charge describing what they have in mind for the floor on the building. Tile Swirl...I'm not sure I am a fan...but I am glad to hear that the rest of the place is so nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just as stumped as you are by it, bon. We can only guess what the artistic vision was.
    Tile swirl?
    Marble vortex?
    Flush toilet in the northern hemisphere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the Gay Olympics began in ancient Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, that seals the deal. We're doomed in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you ever get people to take the pics of you jumping off stuff or do you stage them yourself? They're pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope. It's all about the camera self-timer! I guess I'm a little worried that if I enlisted someone's help, they would run off with my camera while I was mid-jump.

    ReplyDelete