Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mighty Boss-tones: I get knocked down

Boston, home of Harvard's Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, was slick with rain when I got here on Saturday night. It was that weird type of misty rain that feels like it's just condensing onto you in teensy pinpoints out of the air instead of actually falling from the sky. The mist/fog/rain was still going on Sunday morning. I didn't want to waste the chance to explore the city, though, so I went out for a drizzly stroll through the Boston Commons, which is sort of like their version of Central Park. The plot thickens: I wanted to snap a picture at a gorgeous oak with its branches draped over the walkway, but I didn't want my camera to get soaked in the process. Success with my camera's self-timer has made me brave. I started the timer's countdown, planning to hover over the camera to shelter it with my umbrella until the last second then step into the shot. Instead, the slick sidewalk won.

Picture taken 0.1 seconds before I slipped, fell end-over-teakettle, thwacked my head on the concrete, landed in a puddle, shattered my dignity, then retrieved my camera and slinked away looking like a bedraggled drowned puppy.

On a completely unrelated note, doesn't calling it an "Infirmary" make you think of huge hospital wards with rows of steel beds where all the patients are infected with (at least) tuberculosis and polio and scabies or something? I know it's ridiculous, but I kind of expected to see an Iron Lung ward somewhere inside this building.

Infirmary: Yes.

Iron Lung ward: No.

P.S. The Liberty Hotel in downtown Boston used to be the Charles Street Jail. Bonus points for irony.

1 comment: